The National Society SAR Americanism Committee is pleased to announce the Americanism Poster Contest. This competition is intended to stimulate interest in American History in support of the Elementary School curriculum which is generally when the American Revolution is taught. Entries from lower grades, home-schooled children or other organizations as listed below may be accepted based on the age equivalency of the student to the stated grade levels or proof that the American Revolution was taught at the lower grade level. This contest is endorsed by the National Art Education Association (NAEA).
Who May Participate:
- Students in the 3rd, 4th or 5th grade depending on which year the American Revolution is taught by the school system.
- Parochial and home school students of equivalent age/grade are eligible.
- Members of the Children of the American Revolution (C.A.R.), Cub Scouts and Brownies of equivalent age/grade are eligible when their local school is not participating.
Poster Contest Topic:It is highly suggested that each state society chose a specific topic within the confines of each above stated topic for ease of judging on the chapter and state levels.
- For academic years ending in even numbers, the theme shall be "Revolutionary War Events."
- For academic years ending in odd numbers, the theme shall be "Revolutionary War People."
- Only one (1) poster will be accepted from a State Society as their entry for the national contest.
- All entries must have a fully completed entry form submitted by the stated deadline.
- No direct submissions from individuals will be accepted.
- In the event that the local school is participating, then entries must be channeled through the school to the SAR. No contests independent of a participating school may occur.
- Entry forms must be emailed to the NSSAR Americanism Committee Chairman with a copy emailed to the NSSAR Education Director. Email addresses are available on the NSSAR website.
- The contest will be conducted concurrently with the academic year.
- The deadline for entry forms to be received is June 1st.
- The deadline for posters to be submitted for judging is 9:30 am on the Sunday of Congress that year at the National Headquarters Office at the Congress site. Posters can be mailed either to
- The National Headquarters no later than two (2) weeks prior to Congress.
- The Host Hotel for the Congress no later than ten (10) days prior to Congress with the marking "Attn: Americanism Poster Contest" placed on the mailing label.
- Hand delivered to the National Headquarters Room at the Congress by the above stated time.
Judging the Posters: The following criteria are used to judge posters:
- Does the poster express the annual theme?
- Does the poster show originality by the student?
- Does the poster show evidence of research?
- Does the poster show artistic merit and creativity?
- Does the poster accurately reflect the event or person depicted?
- Is the poster neat and visually pleasing?
Rules and Regulations:
- All posters must be two dimensional. No three dimensional entries will be allowed or accepted.
- Posters may be submitted either on traditional poster board or thicker display board. The maximum size of the poster board is 24 inches by 36 inches.