- About US
- Who Can Join
- Why Join
- Getting Started
- Application Preparation Manual
- The Process
- State Contacts
- State Webpages
- Application Status
- Record Copies
- Research Services
- Patriot Search
- NSSAR Ladies Auxiliary
- NSSAR Genealogy Policies
- Youth Education / SARCAAH
- NSSAR Education Outreach Site
- Poster Contest
- Oration Contest
- Knight Essay Contest
- Eagle Scout Contest
- ROTC / JROTC
- Brochure Contest
- SAR CAAH Resolution
- History Teacher Award
- Children of the American Revolution
- Exchange Program
- American Heritage CD
- SAR Foundation
Compatriot Presidents of the United States
The Sons of the American Revolution is proud of its compatriot Presidents of the United States. We honor these Compatriots who used their position as President to build a better America. Each remembered the founding of this great nation and the role of his Revolutionary War ancestor in making American the beacon of liberty and justice of all.
Three Presidents, George Washington, James Monroe, and Andrew Jackson actually served during the Revolutionary War.
Six Presidents were real sons of Revolutionary War Patriots. These included John Quincy Adams, Martin Van Buren, William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, IV; Zachary Taylor, and Franklin Pierce.
Five Presidents were grandsons of Revolutionary War Patriots. These included: James Knox Polk, Millard Fillmore, Abraham Lincoln, Chester A. Arthur, and Grover Cleveland.
President James A. Garfield was the great grandson of a Revolutionary War Patriot. President Richard M. Nixon was the great great grandson of a Patriot.
As of the date of this article (before the 2012 elections) there have been 16 Presidents of the United States who were also Compatriots. The Winter 2001 issue of The SAR Magazine featured the Presidents with details of their backgrounds, including information about their Revolutionary War ancestors. When President George W. Bush became President and a member of the Society the magazine carried a major news story that included a photo of him receiving his Membership Certificate.
Compatriot Presidents of the United States of America
- Rutherford Birchard Hayes (19th President of the US)
- Benjamin Harrison (23rd President of the US)
- William McKinley, Jr. (25th President of the US)
- Theodore Roosevelt (26th President of the US)
- William Howard Taft (27th President of the US)
- Warren Gamaliel Harding (29th President of the US)
- (John) Calvin Coolidge, Jr. (30th President of the US)
- Herbert Clark Hoover (31st President of the US)
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt (32nd President of the US)
- Harry S. Truman (33rd President of the US)
- Dwight David Eisenhower (34th President of the US)
- Lyndon Baines Johnson (36th President of the US)
- Gerald Rudolph Ford (38th President of the US)
- James (Jimmy) Earl Carter, Jr. (39th President of the US)
- George Herbert Walker Bush (41st President of the US)
- George Walker Bush (43rd President of the US)
Clicking on a Compatriot President takes you to a detailed Page about the President and his time in the SAR.
Centennial History of the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution 1889 – 1989, Turner Publishing Company, Paducah, KY. Copyright 1991 NSSAR Louisville, KY.
The History of the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution, by John St. Paul, Jr., Historian General and Assisted by Stuart O. Landry. Published by the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution, Louisville, KY. Originally published in 1962. Copyright in 1962 by Stuart O. Landry. Reprinted in 1982 with permission.
The Sons of the American Revolution, NSSAR History, Volume III, 1983-1999 An Historical Anthology, Edited by Robert F. Jackson, Historian General, and Garrett F. Jackson, Commander NSSAR Color Guard. Published by John Frederick Hopkins Lowewe, CASSAR. Published by the National Society of the Sons of the Americ