George Washington Endowment Fund

George Washington Endowment Fund Board

CONCEPT:  The George Washington Endowment Fund (GWEF) Board was established by the Executive Committee and approved by the Trustees during the meeting of February 27, 1993.  This action followed two years of work by a special Task Force that had been asked to evaluate and propose a plan for NSSAR to provide for the following:

  1. Establish a permanent restricted fund, the income of which would provide annual funding for support of NSSAR unfunded and underfunded committees and special projects, and to
  2. Provide for the equitable distribution of funds.

Until the inception of the GWEF Fund, little funding was available to reimburse the more than fifty (50+) committees for administrative purposes or to support their activities or special projects.    

The GWEF Board is composed of a Board Chairman, the Chairs of the GWEF Fund Raising Committee and the GWEF Distribution Committee, and four George Washington Fellows elected by the GW Fellows at the National Congress.  The GWEF Board oversees all aspects of the George Washington Endowment Fund.  

The George Washington Endowment Fund is financed by gifts from members and friends of the Sons of the American Revolution.

GENERAL:  The purpose of the GWEF is to maintain a continuing program for obtaining and distributing funds to support NSSAR unfunded and underfunded committees and special projects.  The endowment fund should grow annually to continue support of approved NSSAR activities and projects.  The GWEF serves as an “umbrella” under which gifts are placed.  Earnings from the contributions over the years have helped to finance a wide variety of programs and projects.

Fund raising activities are conducted at the National level, during the Leadership meetings and the annual Congress.  Chapters and Societies are encouraged to establish a program to accept GWEF donations on a continuing basis.  Each Chapter and Society should appoint a chairman to coordinate the GWEF program and to maintain records of all contributors for recognition.  The Vice Presidents General should also have guidelines for Chapters and Societies to assist in GWEF fund raising activities.      

All gifts are important and are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.  

Individuals donating $1,000 or more are recognized as George Washington Fellows.  The gifts may be paid in a lump sum amount or in installments of $200 or more annually over a five-year period.  

Each person recognized as a GW Fellow shall receive a distinctive lapel pin and a certificate denoting his status.  The name of each GW Fellow will be displayed in the new Center for Advancing America’s Heritage building. 

DISTRIBUTION:  Requests for funds are submitted by chairmen of NSSAR committees.  Requests for funds by NSSAR unfunded and underfunded committees and for various special projects are sent to the George Washington Endowment Fund Distribution Committee for consideration.  No more than 80% of the net income from the GWEF may be spent in any one year and the remaining 20%  is invested into the corpus of the GWEF.  The GWEF Board oversees the investment of the GWEF.

GIFTS: Remember 100% of your donation goes into a permanent restricted fund.  Gifts may be made by giving cash, checks, stocks, bonds, or any other financial asset that you may desire to contribute.  Checks should be made payable to:  


And given to your local or state GWEF Chairman, or to the

Executive Director
809 West Main Street
Louisville, KY 40202-2619


AWARDS:  Two Awards associated with the GWEF are presented annually at Congress.  The term of each award is from April 1 to the following March 31.

The Howard F. Horne, Jr. Award goes to the State Society with the largest increase in new GW Fellows as a percentage of the State Society membership.  The award includes a $500.00 stipend partially funded by the Delaware Fund, a flag streamer, and a certificate.

The Walter Buchanan “Buck” Meek Award goes to the State Society with the largest numerical increase in new GW Fellows.  The award includes a stipend of 80 % of the net annual earnings of the Meek Fund, a flag streamer, and a certificate.

A trifold flyer describing the George Washington Endowment Fund, with a form for application to become a GW Fellow and for making donations, is available:

George Washington Endowment Fund Pamphlet